Dr. Westfall continued his role as chair until 1973, when Dr. Dan West assumed the role and kept it until 1995. In 1997, Dr. Marion L. Messersmith took over the responsibility, and the current chair, Dr. Jeryl D. English, assumed the role in 2001.
Class size has ranged from the initial two students in 1956 to a high of 15 in 1971. Since 1981, the number of students has been limited to 6 with an optional PhD candidate or armed forces member. In 2005, the maximum number for students was raised to 7 with permission from the American Dental Association.